Media Releases from Maxwell Marine
New VWC1000 and VWC1500 Windlass Update
Date: 01 Jul 2005
Maxwell’s VWC Range of vertical windlasses has been an industry icon since the introduction of the series over two decades ago. Not content to rest on their laurels, Maxwell is about to phase in new models embodying a host of new features while maintaining the clean aesthetics admired by boat owners world-wide.
The first of this new generation of VWC Windlasses, the VWC1000 and VWC1500, which will replace the existing VWC800 and VWC1200 respectively, were due for release in July. The VWC1000 is now fully integrated into Maxwell's range and the VWC1500 will be phased in during the first quarter of 2006 Both windlasses are characterised by the following features:
- Simple two-piece installation, utilising the ingenious spacer tube design of the legendary Freedom Rope/Chain windlass range, provides super quick and easy installation of the windlass.
- The new spacer tube design allows for three optional deck thickness installations: 50mm (2"), 100mm (4") and 150 mm (6"), allowing for thin, standard or extra thick decks.
- Multiple mounting positions and a self-aligning gearbox ensure optimal location of the gearbox and motor in virtually all installation situations.
- A powerful 1000 watt motor, combined with a 44:1 ratio proven worm drive gearbox, gives the VWC1000 over 450 kg (1000 lbs) maximum pull, while the 56:1 gearbox, driven by a 1200 watt motor, delivers a massive 680 kg (1500 lbs) maximum pull for the VWC1500.
- Line speed (anchor chain retrieval rate at normal working load) is an impressive 23.5 m/min (77 ft/min) for the VWC1000 and over 20 m/min (65 ft/min) for the VWC1500.
- Comfortable rope hauling speeds, utilising the independent capstan drum, are 20 m/min (65 ft/min) and 17 m/min (55 ft/min) for the 1000 and 1500 units respectively.
- Should an on board power failure occur, a simple to use 1:1 emergency crank system, employed in conjunction with a recommended chainstopper, ensures that the anchor can still be retrieved with unsurpassed operator safety.
- The new design deck plate, with integrated chainpipe and chain stripper, is common to both the 1000 and 1500 models and is predrilled and fitted with a sensor assembly plug for easy installation of the Maxwell AutoAnchor chain counter sensor.
- Chainwheels are common for both models and will accommodate any specified short link chain size from 6mm (1/4") to 10mm (3/8"). They are pre-drilled to fit the Maxwell AutoAnchor chain counter magnet.
- New top and bottom identical clutch cones are interchangeable and universal to both models making routine service simple and easy.
- The larger size capstan-warping drum has been carried over from the previous 1200 model giving greater rope size warping capacity to both new models.
- Both the 1000 and 1500 are equipped with a redesigned pawl and pin assembly allowing the chainwheel to be temporarily locked when using the independent capstan
drum for rope hauling.
Best of all, for the remainder of 2005, even with all the improvements mentioned above, Maxwell expects pricing to remain the same as for the previous 800 and 1200 models!
VWC1000 Emergency Crank